In a part of Östermalm called “Lärkstan”, “The Lark City”, there is a hill where there was once a mill. Hence this hill is called “The Mill Hill”, “Kvarnberget”. But there are no longer any mill here but a church, Egelbrektskyrkan. In the beginning of the 1900’s this place was chosen as location for the new main church of the newly founded parish called Engelbrekt. The parish and the church is named after the Swedish hero and freedom fighter Engelbrekt Engelbrektsson who led a rebellion against Eric of Pomerania in the early 1400′s. Eric of Pomerania was the first King of the Nordic Kalmar Union.
The Church of Engelbrekt was built between 1910 to 1914 after design by Lars Israel Whalman who was a professor at the Royal Institute of Technology. The church is built in National Romantic style and Art Nouveau. On the 25th of January 1914 the church was consecrated. Because of its location on the hill the church have a dominating and majestic impression on the city.
This view of the church was captured from Karlavägen.